by Elizabeth Moree
For the Enterprise-Journal
Southwest Bass Club fished its seventh derby of the 2018-19 season on a very high Lake St. John in Ferriday, La., recently.
St. John is a 2,100-acre natural oxbow formed by the Mississippi River. It offers 16 miles of shoreline that includes 300-plus piers and an abundance of cypress trees.
Getting everyone up to speed on safety and boating was John Bruce, and leading in prayer was Josh Simpson.
No flights were called out due to the no-wake zone put into effect by lake officials and police jury.
Southwest eased out at 5:30 a.m. with 21 teams consisting of 33 anglers allowed to begin fishing once they reached their spots.
Lake St. John fishing conditions were idle-only, water temperature 78-81 degrees, air temp 64-87 degrees, winds 10-12 mph SSE, and water clarity stained with greenish tint.
Top 10 teams were:
1. Finally a bride, John Bruce weighed in the biggest bag of the day with a five-fish limit totaling 14.1 pounds with a 4-pound kicker. J.B. says he snagged his on a topwater bite and crankbaits.
2. Coming in second and in the money again were Jake Shelby and Jay Case with a limit weighing 11.15 with a 3.12 kicker. They said they caught their bass by simply junk fishing, flipping plastics and utilizing a chatterbait in shallow waters.
3. Third-place payouts went to father-and-son team Michael and Colby Dunaway. They had a five-fish limit weighing 10.7. They caught their bag on frogs that morning and crankbaits on flooded limbs the rest of the day.
4. Securing last payout was The Dynamic Duo, “pals” Chris Toler and Brad Wooley. They had four fish weighing 9.14 with a 3.8-pound kicker. They snagged their keepers with a buzzbait and a jig.
5. Patrick Engerran and alternate Doug Canoy brought in three fish weighing 7.6 with a 4-pound kicker.
6. Elizabeth Moree weighed in four fish at 6.5 with a 3.3 kicker.
7. Bobby and Michael Reynolds weighed in three at 6.4 with a 4.10 kicker.
8. Joseph Hart weighed in two fish at 5.6 and also won Big Bass with a 4.12 Slaunch.
9. Caleb McCaffery weighed in three fish at 5.4.
10. Kell Thompson and Buddy Roberts weighed in five fish at 4.11.
Southwest will meet again 6:30 p.m. June 13 at Burger King on Delaware Avenue in McComb.
Find us on Facebook @southwest bass club or contact Joe Moree at 601-695-2256.