Lumber kiln catches fire

Above, McComb firefighters work to put out a fire that started in the kiln at Seago Lumber Co. in McComb around 4 a.m. Friday. Fire Chief Gary McKenzie said two employees were inside the control room next to the kiln when the fire broke out, but no one was hurt. McKenzie said a mechanical failure is likely to blame. An adjacent silo is full of sawdust that’s used to fuel the kiln and it will likely smolder for days since it couldn’t hold the barrage of water needed to extinguish its contents, and firefighters will likely make return trips to put water on it. Sunnyhill and Fernwood volunteer fire departments provided tankers, and other volunteer firefighters also assisted, McKenzie said.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.